Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Consensus of Sorts – Che This Sunday

Mavens:

I knew from the beginning, this my-pov.ca movie club would have to be quick on its feet. I just did not imagine how quick.We now have yet another fresh information subset.

Che has done so well as a roadshow at the AMC that it's being extended for a 2nd week. There will be no Part I, Part II tickets sold. Che, Part I runs 2:08, Part II runs 2:09. If you include a 15 minute intermission, an event that starts at 1:30 p.m. Sunday will not end until almost 6 p.m.Yesterday, I emailed all my-pov.ca movieclub members, canvassing for various options.

Below are the responses I received [slightly abridged]. My comments are in Italics.

Farla weighs in:

i like the idea of seeing the whole of che on sunday and saving the discussion for the next week...
farla

this probably is the best way to see it, if you can endure the length. But we really only have two choices, either the 4:35 hour version, or not screening CHE at all, since the AMC will not be offering Che, broken into Part I and Part II.

peter

***
Bob has views…

Hi Peter,

...and you thought directing a film was hard work!! hahahaha! Your proposal sounds good to me just as long as we get two beers the following week. I have a donut seat cushion, so no problem.

That was a great session last Sunday. Just wanted to ask you two directors what it must have been like for Laurent Cantet, director of Entre les murs, to direct the screenwriter/source author as lead actor! Must have been fun.

bob

I put in calls to the Comedy Nest yesterday morning, and will try again to get to them today. Bob is right, everyone will get two drink tickets when we have the session on March 8th.

peter
***
krayna golfman

hi peter

I'm confused.

Are tickets not available for Sat? I'd like to do do part 1 then and part 2 with you Sun.

krayna

This permutation unfortunately is not available to you. AMC is selling one 4:35 hour movie, starting at 1:30 pm, and running to 6 pm approx.

Peter
***

Peter Measroch, one of montreal’s more eminent movie people:

Peter M here.... did you see yesterday's Globe and Mail article on the film? Talking about if it weren't for the political ideology, Che would be just another serial killer....good article!

I will be blogging a long piece this morning on things to watch for in Che. It is a breakthrough movie on all sorts of levels

peter


***
Evelyn is okay with the idea

Hi Peter!

Thank you for doing all this homework. I was just thinking this aft that I might try to catch the 4 1/2 hour presentation on Thursday evening but getting home around 11:30 and getting up at 6:00 a.m. didn't really tempt me - and now you have solved my problem! Will see it all in one big swoop on Sunday aft. Suits me. Am leaving for Mexico on the 8th but not until later in the evening so would be delighted to discuss the film the following Sunday as long as we meet around 1:30ish or 2 - is that what you had in mind?

Entre deux Murs was very enjoyable - a little long. Think that many who were watching it are not French speaking and therefore missed a great deal...I didn't follow the subtitles as my first language is French so found some of the remarks made about Francois very harsh. My only comment.

I look forward to seeing Che and hearing the discussion the following week. Is anyone going out for dinner afterwards? That could be fun - the lonely lives of "merry widows" we just don't like to eat alone.

Hmmm – there’s another good idea! Who would be interested in joining Evelyn for dinner after the 4:35 hour screening? That would make for animated discussion. We could meet upstairs at the Atrium. Any suggestions for a quiet nearby place, where people can talk?

***

Marie-Claire dissents:

I am now reevaluating your Che-suggestion email. I now disagree with that approach.

I strongly encourage you to keep the 10 consecutive Sunday format: one movie and and the meeting at the Comedy Nest for a drink and learning….if people want to see part 2 of Che, let it be on their own time. Have one Che movie version from 12:30 PM and then have one drink and invited guests on March 1st 2009.

There is absolutely no need to get caught up in the frenzy of the 2 part series of Che.

While in theory Marie-Claire is proposing what I first thought was the best-possible case, in fact if we only wanted to watch Part I, we would have to pay for the Roadticket (double) price. Then when we went back to see the 2nd half, again we would have to buy a second Roadticket double.

peter
***
So here’s the deal:

  • The my-pov.ca screening for this week will be Che, starting at 1:30 p.m. at the AMC. It will run for 4:35 hours, and get out at approximately 6:00 p.m.
  • Joanne, Vanessa, Farla and I will be in the Pepsi Forum atrium from 12:00 pm on, with our people to distribute supplementary vouchers, to be redeemed.
  • Everyone attending Che, will need a supplementary voucher.
  • Those who can't make the Sunday screening, can make their own arrangments, still use their vouchers for another day/ another time. Che will be playing daily at 1:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
  • We are hoping that AMC in Kansas City will be supplying us all our vouchers as of March 3rd.
  • For those attending McGill’s MILR, I will bring and distribute supplemental AMC vouchers this Thursday, February 27th, before the 9:30 a.m. class, and after the 11:45 am study group.
  • The Comedy Nest discussion session for Che will take place on Sunday, March 8th (time tba), and it will be a protracted discussion of the importance of Che as a movie, as an historical figure – and so on. We plan to have guests who will talk about some of the things that makes this movie so 21st century.
  • Since we will effectively be screening two movies on March 1st, Che Part I and Che, Part II, we will not be screening a movie on March 8th.
  • I will, by noon today, post a blog about the importance of Steven Soderbergh, the filmmaker. He may be the most interesting director working in Hollywood today. I will attempt to explain why.
  • Those who disagree with this decision to screen Che as a roadshow, of course are entitled to their money back. But remember, your vouchers are good for any AMC movie at any time, so you can go to another movie of your choice, and then join us on the 8th in the Comedy Nest.
  • Hope all of this is clear. Pls keep those cards and letters coming. I need to read what you’re thinking.


peter


ps:

Those who attend the Metropolitan Opera screenings know the advantage of arriving early to save your seat. I suspect Che is a socko boffo megahit in the making. At the Saturday night screening I attended, in one of the AMC humungous facilities, it was almost sold out. Therefore we will need to get your vouchers/tickets/seats to you early, so as not to have your nose pressed against the AMC screen.

So come early, save your seat with your coat. With your stub, AMC will allow you to enter and leave its premises. Then get a coffee.

A 2nd tip: bring a snack. AMC has no issue with you eating your own food in the theatre. I hope this is all clear.

peter






No comments:

Post a Comment